You are not eating foods that you are accustomed to and you might not even be sure that you are doing it right.
We feel you. As we speak, a few of us at ActiveForever are digging into new diets of their own. So we know first hand that if we are going to forego your favorite and most comforting guilty pleasures, it better be worth your while.
We’ve put together a little primer/reminder on how to get the most out of your new-found dietary discipline.
What is a “balanced” diet?
A balanced diet is one that includes the Recommended Dietary Allowances, also called RDAs, for all the essential nutrients. These include proteins, fats, carbohydrates, vitamins, and minerals. A balanced diet supports normal growth and development. It also contributes to good health and quality of life.
What can I eat?
All foods, when chosen wisely, can be part of a balanced diet. For example, some fat is needed in the diet to support life. But too much fat or the wrong type of fat can increase the risk of heart disease. A balanced diet provides an adequate amount of calories, protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals. A balanced diet avoids an excess of calories, saturated fats, cholesterol, sodium, and sugar.
Establish a healthy eating pattern.
- Choose an overall balanced diet with foods from all major food groups, emphasizing fruits, vegetables, and grains.
- Consume a variety of fruits and vegetables. Choose 5 or more servings per day.
- Consume a variety of grain products, including whole grains. Choose 6 or more servings per day.
- Include fat-free and low-fat dairy products, fish, legumes, skinless poultry, and lean meats.
- Eat at least 2 servings of fish per week.
- Avoid excess intake of calories.
- Limit foods that are high in calories or low in nutritional quality, including those with a high amount of added sugar.
(Don’t stop there!)
- Maintain a level of physical activity that achieves fitness, and balances energy expenditure with calorie intake. For weight reduction, calories burned should exceed calories consumed.
and… Calorie cutting Tips:
Finally, to break it all down, we bring you this great little piece from a site that we love, everyday Health. Lose weight fast with these easy tips for cutting calories when cooking, choosing beverages, etc.,